Sunday, May 22, 2011

First Camp of the Season

Luckily Will and I both share the same love of the outdoors. We both love to camp and hike, which suits us nicely. A couple weeks ago when Will was at the gym he read an article on dads who do adventuresome activities outdoors with their kids. Since he loves being outdoors anyway, this really struck a note with him.


 So we started it off by going camping this past weekend even though it had been a rainy week before. Camping in the mud sure didn't stop us. And we had a blast anyway. It reminded me of a book my mom used to read to me when I was a kid where the theme was so what if it's raining, we can still have fun.


It was Evee's first camping trip. And my niece, Amanda, joined us last minute. We went to a beautiful state park here in Maryland.


I am a camping fiend! It is my favorite thing to do in the whole world. I love the campfire and being lulled to sleep by the sounds of a stream from outside my tent.


To me, camping is more than just being outside. It is being in nature where I feel the closest to my Heavenly Father. This is where the spirit can easily touch my heart. I can understand why the prophets of old prayed in the mountains. Being amongst His creations, the beautiful world He has created for us, draws us closer to Him.


I try to instill in my children the same beauty and wonder of nature that my own mother instilled in me. She loved the wild outdoors. Even now she lives in a cabin up in the mountains where she has to fourwheel in to even get to it in the winter, and she loves it. I hope I can pass that legacy on to my children. With Will and I having the same goal, and both our girls having a natural love of the outdoors, they are sure to continue to return to the wonder of nature again and again as they grow older.

3 comments:

  1. How sweet! You are a great writer. I enjoy reading your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What state park are you at? Michael loves to camp, so we're always looking for neat camping spots, but I don't recognize where you are from the pics. Looks like a fabulous trip! I love Bella with her yellow shirt, no pants (or at least I can't see any), and flip flops. She looks just happy to be hanging out by the fire. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You ARE a great writer! You always have been! =) I feel EXACTLY the same way about camping and just being up in the mountains! We've gone in the canyon like 3 times a week this month and I cannot wait til it's warm enough to go camping!! It's definately the kids'and our favorite thing to do! And I am ecstatic to do it with you guys!!! I remember every second of the last camping trip we took together 2 years ago before you moved! It was awesome! Love you!!!!
    Alisse

    ReplyDelete