Last week my sociology professor asked us if we have a cause. She talked about the protests during the sixties, and how they may have been a little extreme, but at least they had a cause they were willing to protest for. She then again asked if we even have a cause in our time. This has been hanging over my head since then.
Today in the shower (where all my best inspiration hits me;)) I realized I do have a cause. And not only a cause, but many. I think we all have causes we feel at least semi passionate about, but we don't do anything about them. I realized the way we fight for our causes today may be different.
I have many causes that I am very passionate about. Things that can get me really heated (they will be reserved for another post). As I have had beliefs about certain things, things that I wished would change. Things that I wished someone would do something about. And then if someone did decide to do something about it, I would certainly give my support and join along. But it was always just that. Someone do something about all these problems. But not me.
This summer my my feelings changed. One night as some of my family was discussing certain problems with our nation my nephew became frustrated with the fact that we always discuss the problems, but never actually do anything about it. It made me realize I can. I can be that person who does fight for my causes. I don't have to wait for the "Martin Luther King Jr." to come along and I'll support him. I can be the "Martin Luther King Jr." Why not me? What is so different from our pioneers of change to me? Nothing! Only my belief in who I am. I, as much as anyone else, have the right and the capability to fight for the causes I believe to be true. I can start the fight for the change I want. I will start these protests. I believe every man/woman who wished to could change the world in even just that one way they are passionate about. He who has the desire is called. If you want to, you can. We live in a time of great controversy. A time when morals are sliding. Selfishness is abundant. And many things need rearranging. We cannot sit idly by hoping someone else will start the fight we would like to support. We have to start it. We can. It is only our belief in ourself. Our belief in our capability that will stop us or start us. Why are you any different than George Washington, Thomas Edison, Rosa Parks? They were just regular people. Regular people who were willing to fight for what they believed in. There is no person who was "that person" from the time they were born. Each of us is "that person". Each of us has the same possibilities, the same capabilities. It is only whether we believe it.
As I said, the way I fight today will be different than the way those who protested before. This is why I am going to school. Someone who is educated has much more sway than those who do not. We more easily believe in something a person says when they have a Dr. before their name. If I want to push and fight for my causes, I have to push and fight using my education.
Find your own way to push and fight for your cause, because you can. And then do it.
No comments:
Post a Comment