Thursday, February 10, 2011

Going back to school

I pray I can balance my new life. It is so challenging trying to juggle being a good mom, going to class, doing loads of homework, spending time with my husband, and attempting to take care of my home. I have felt prompted over the last year and a half to start going back to school full time. I originally planned on going back after all my children were in school, but I am trying to follow the feelings that are guiding me. It is exciting to go back to school and to be learning. I love that aspect. I love the time while I am at school being a person. As a mom many times I feel like I lose my identity as a person seperate from a mother. I get to be just "Jill" during those couple hours. But it is so hard having to sacrifice time away from my children. And not just time at school, but time on homework, too. It feels like I have a full time job. Just this morning Belle said to me, "Mom, you should ask your teacher if you can stay home from school so you can spend time with your me."
Talk about rip your heart out! I explained to her why I was doing what I am doing, and why it is important to me and our family. I hope she understands! Later on today she saw me studying out of my psychology book. There were pictures of the different parts of the brain and their functionings. She asked me what each part does. It was fun to be able to explain it to her. As a bonus it helped me to retain more of what I was learning, too. So there are definitely positives coming out of it, too. I am just trying to trust that if Heavenly Father has asked me to do this that I will be able to find a way to balance it all that will bless our whole family.
I am learning to nurse while I read, and bounce back and forth from typing papers to listening to an excited four year old's stories. I try to split my brain. How challenging! But I believe this is a challenge I can accomplish. But not on my own. Only through the help and guidance of my loving Father can it all be possible. He loves my children, too. Even more than I do. He wants what is the very best for us. He wants us to have joy.  I feel grateful for all the beautiful things I have been blessed with. When Belle and I were talking about people who didn't have a lot, who were poor, and had no homes or food. Then I proceeded to tell her how rich we are because we have a home over our heads and enough food to eat, and most importantly we have each other. In that moment I realized how rich we really are. We live in a society where riches are measured by the amount of "toys" or things we have, the size of our home, the type of vehicle we drive, or the way we dress. But in so many other countries they would feel like Kings and Queens to have what we do. I don't have to worry about my children starving or freezing. I can go to school. I have so many opportunities to become what I wish and to help my children have the same. And for that I feel richly blessed.
My riches

2 comments:

  1. It is so hard to balance everything! I'm proud of you for following promptings and being such a good mom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love reading your blog! You have so much faith. You are so amazing to be doing this. I know that Heavenly Father will bless you, and will provide a way for you to accomplish this goal and still have balance in your life. There is a woman in my home ward that this situation reminds me of. She told my mom a story about a time when she was teaching school, going to school, and was a mother of 5 kids. To top it off, she got called as Relief Society president. She said that there was a lot of need in the ward, and she felt very burdened by all of her responsibility. She said that she just prayed to Heavenly Father that she would accept the calling if he would help her to do everything she needed to do. She told my mom that she ended up getting straight A's that semester, and she doesn't even know how (not that she didn't do the work, just that she didn't know how she managed such good grades). It may be difficult, but you will be so blessed! Love you girly :)

    ReplyDelete